A Day in the Life: Commercial Real Estate

Real Estate is more than buying and selling houses, it’s about living and working environments.  There are a wide range of opportunities available to those interested in pursuing a career in real estate, one of those is in commercial real estate.  Morgan Hill (WH ’09) will contribute to @PennCareerDay on Twitter on Wednesday, April 6th and discuss her life in this area.  To learn more about Morgan, read below and don’t forget to follow her next week!

Morgan Hill, Associate, joined Retail Sites in January 2010 to focus on leasing and tenant representation services. Ms. Hill is a 2009 graduate of the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania with a concentration in Real Estate.  Prior to graduating, Morgan held internships at Interstate Commercial assisting in site selection activities and Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust where she supported the leasing department. While at Wharton, Ms. Hill served as Research Assistant in the Wharton Real Estate Department.

Author: Shannon Kelly

Shannon Kelly is the Job & Internship Coordinator in Career Services.

5 thoughts on “A Day in the Life: Commercial Real Estate”

1. I agree with you completely. It is a lucrative field for those seeking high paying and exciting job. It is a successful career for those with can do attitude. You can find some useful related post on my blog!

2. I can attest to the fact that commercial real estate can be very lucrative. I’m the Director or Leasing and Advertising for a commercial real estate firm in Minneapolis, MN.

An energetic and creative agent can easily make six figures as a leasing agent or tenant rep. If you acquire your brokers license and strike out on your own (after gaining valuable experience working for other larger companies) you can double your income.

In my experience a large number of agents and brokers specialize in certain types, classes, or geographic locations of buildings. Some focus primarily on sales transactions; while other focus on leasing transactions (as a tenant rep or owners rep).

In short there are a wide range of possibilities in commercial real estate; most of which are lucrative if you put in the time and hard work.

3. I have just begun to cross over from residential to commercial real estate and already I am seeing a profit potential far in excess of the residential scene. If you don’t mind the work, i.e., hours, you can make a ton.

4. I also started in residential real estate and quickly found I preferred commercial, there is no comparison.

5. For a recent college graduate what do you recommend as the best way to get your foot in the door at a commercial real estate company?