Resolutions for the New Year

Welcome back to Penn (and welcome to Penn if you are a new student). I hope you had a wonderful summer. The pace of life will quicken now as the semester begins, and with it the new academic year. Most people make New Year’s resolutions on January 1. I always feel a greater sense of new beginnings in early September. And so I recommend you make a few resolutions now, as you start your classes. In case you haven’t thought of any (and why should you), I have a few suggestions. I hope one or more resonate with you.
1. Do well in your classes. Doing well is the best preparation for the future. Good grades never hurt anyone.
2. Try to live in the moment. Too many students focus on life after Penn. Now – 2012 – is a wonderful time, and you are privileged to be part of this dynamic community, which has so much to offer. Enjoy the here and now.
3. Get off campus more. Philadelphia is such a great city. Explore it, and take advantage of its resources.
4. In this political season, with so much harsh rhetoric, try to be open-minded, and to listen to those with whom you may not agree. You may find commonalities from which to forge new ways of seeing the world.
5. Finally, as Provost Price advised at Tuesday’s Convocation, get enough rest. Lack of sleep impairs judgment, learning, and the enjoyment of life. Conversely, a good night’s rest makes any problem seem less daunting.
On behalf of all of us here at Career Services, have a great semester!

Author: Patricia Rose

Patricia Rose is the Director of Career Services at the University of Pennsylvania.