Plenty to be Thankful For

In one of my favorite movies, Irving Berlin’s Holiday Inn, Bing Crosby sings  “I’ve got plenty to be thankful for…..”  (This movie is an oldie but a goodie with a happy ending….rent it one night, relax and enjoy!)

With the words of his song going round in my head, I thought it was appropriate to stop a moment and think of my own blessings.

I am especially thankful for a wonderful husband and our two sons and daughter-in-law-to-be who are healthy and happy young people, energetic about their lives, work and studies, with great futures before them all.

I am thankful for a roof over my head and food on our table, even more this year after watching the damage dealt by Hurricane Sandy.  There are many who are not able to enjoy their traditional turkey dinner at their own table because of the damage done to their homes, or even worse, injury to their loved ones.  I wish them good speed in their recovery and return to the daily routine of their lives. (If you can, send a little something to your favorite charity to help our neighbors get back on their feet.)

I am thankful for the comfort of a recovering economy where more and more people are having success in finding jobs, keeping jobs, and acquiring better jobs.  (Visit us in Career Services next week for assistance with your own career goals.)

Many of our Penn students are thankfully able to travel home for a few days to spend time with their families.  Some are going to be with friends.  Others will enjoy a few quiet days on campus with a break from the busy routine of student life – a chance to rest and explore Philadelphia.

I’m thankful to live in a part of the world where our long, hot summer is followed by these crisp, cool days of autumn.

Over this holiday I hope you set aside your busy schedules, anxieties and complaints, and relish the good things in your lives, remembering those less fortunate than yourselves.  Travel safe and enjoy the holiday wherever you are!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Author: Sue

Sue Russoniello is the Operations Manager in Career Services.