don’t blow your cover…letter!

If an employer has not previously met you, your application materials will shape his or her first impression of you. How you present yourself through your writing can make or break your candidacy. Take for instance the dreaded cover letter. Not only should your cover letter be error free, it should set the right “tone.” It’s easy to wrestle with how to highlight your qualifications without coming off as arrogant. After all, you want to show that you’re qualified for the job and someone who will make a great addition to the team! The first cover letter excerpt below illustrates the fine line between confidence and arrogance.

“As you will see from my resume, I have worked in the mental health field for many years and know that you will not find a candidate more knowledgeable about issues impacting children today. I am highly regarded in my current field placement and have been told by multiple supervisors that my skills will certainly be an asset to future organizations. “

Take two. With a bit of revising, an improved version reads something like this:

“With over five years of relevant experience working with children and families in the outpatient setting, I am confident that my clinical skills and passion for delivering quality mental health services will serve me well in the clinical social work position. Most recently, in my role as… “

As you’ll see in the second example, the applicant includes a brief statement of his own skills and interests rather than the praise of supervisors to begin highlighting his qualifications. Don’t forget that your references will do some talking, too. In a competitive job market you want to show you have the skills and experience as well as the ability to work well with others. As you create your own materials for the job search, be sure to review the sample documents and guides available on our website and schedule an appointment with a career advisor for assistance. We’re here all summer!

Author: Sarah

Sarah Hastings is a career counselor with the Nursing/Education/SP2 advising group.