A cool job, favorite things and careers

By Sharon Fleshman

icecreamAs I dedicate this blog to two of my favorite things (summer and sweets), I wonder how fun it might be to dream up jobs related to them.  With the heat of the summer months comes an opportunity to enjoy something cool. As much as I appreciate a frosty glass of iced tea or lemonade, there’s nothing quite like a scoop of ice cream. (Just about anything with chocolate works for me.)  So imagine my glee when I stumbled upon information about John Harrison, who has what I would call a “cool” job – ice cream taster.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say ice cream is a favorite of yours.  As you add ice cream taster to your list to related jobs, consider some more possibilities.  You could develop new flavors, manage or own an ice cream shop, develop a marketing plan for a brand of ice cream, and so on.

Brainstorming around favorite things for career options may seem whimsical, but imagine what could emerge. This process may not be so much about finding a career involving that specific favorite thing as much as a chance to allow your creativity some space to roam in your career development.

Enjoy the last days of summer and the treats that come with it!

Author: Sharon

Sharon Fleshman is the Senior Associate Director of Career Services for students in Education, Nursing and Social Policy & Practice.