Hammock Time

Hard to believe — our summer vacation is half over. Before we know it, students will be back on campus in large numbers. Of course some students are still around: graduate students, summer session students, pre-freshmen, high school students doing discovery programs. But the true hustle and bustle of the semester is very different, and it is only six weeks away.

What I wish for us all, whether we are here at work, off doing a summer job or pursuing research, is to find some hammock time. We are all so busy, with so many commitments. Make sure during these warmer months that you take a break that will allow you to relax, reflect, and be refreshed. Read a book (or two or three) about something far removed from your daily responsibilities. I just finished an interesting volume called The Strangler Vine by M.J. Carter, a kind of detective novel, set in 1830’s India. It transported me to a very different world. I learned something about the early days of the Raj, which for all intents and purposes I knew nothing about. It got me thinking about topics that I seldom consider. I couldn’t put it down.

My hope is that you will use these last six weeks wisely by taking some time for yourself, for your physical, intellectual and mental health. It’s necessary, and come fall, you’ll be glad you did. Enjoy your summer, and safe travels (those who are travelling). Now go find a good book.

Author: Patricia Rose

Patricia Rose is the Director of Career Services at the University of Pennsylvania.