hibernation

The weather this weekend was beautiful. However, when the temperature dropped on Sunday, I noticed that it took me a little longer to “get up and go.” The chilly morning weather kept me indoors. This is a marked contrast to those early fall days when I raced outdoors to take advantage of the day – heading to the playground with my kids first thing, running errands, even being proactive with my to dos!

This glimpse of chilly weather has reminded me of the importance of preparing for those shorter, colder days. During the winter months, even though the outside world seems to slow down a bit life as a student remains busy. You may not only have class and assignments, but an internship, job, or even a job search to think about. Some days it may take a little more to motivate yourself and stray from the warmth of home to get to that early class or study group. I remember those days.

Even though it feels most natural to hibernate, take stock now of what you may need to stay healthy, connected, and productive this winter. Regardless of whether it’s a long-term project, the job search, or a personal goal, planning ahead is always a good thing. Find a friend or classmate who’s working towards a similar goal – someone who will get to that evening meeting with you or share the snowy walk to the library. If the job search is on your mind consider what you can tackle now to begin the winter on a strong note. By taking care and preparing, the semester can heat up, the days can cool down and you can take it all in stride.

Author: Sarah

Sarah Hastings is a career counselor with the Nursing/Education/SP2 advising group.