Baby It’s Cold Outside

By Sharon Fleshman

My mom was born in February.  I was born in August.  She loves cold weather. I don’t. (Go figure.)  Nevertheless, I can acknowledge some of the benefits of cold weather, which (dare I say it) can even relate to the job search.

Cold weather keeps you moving.  I generally take public transportation to work, and my commute isn’t always pleasant during the winter months. If my timing is good, I can take a bus to the subway to get to work. But if the bus is taking too long and there is a cold snap in the air, I find that it’s best to start walking to the train rather than standing and waiting around.  When the job search climate is not ideal, it is important to keep the momentum going.  Schedule another informational interview.  Rework your cover letter.  Follow up with contacts made at that career fair.  Keep it moving.

Cold weather keeps the insect population under control. As much as I like warm weather, I don’t particularly care for the bugs that come with it.  It does seem that mild winters result in the presence of more pests during the spring and summer.  You may need a cold snap to move you toward regrouping and clearing out ineffective job search strategies or negative mindsets that are not leading anywhere.

Cold weather keeps you grateful that you have a warm place to land and mindful of others who do not.  Whether we’re walking outside or shoveling snow, we anticipate the moment when we can step into a warmer place.  As we also remember that others have to figure out where their next warm place will be, we can try to support those who offer such places.  In the job search, it’s important to remember the support system that surrounds you.  There are professors, alumni, friends, mentors and Career Services advisors who can offer you encouragement and wisdom, paving the way for you to pay it forward and help someone else who is overwhelmed by the job search process.

Finally, cold weather gives me an excuse to post a video for one of my favorite seasonal songs. Enjoy!

Author: Sharon

Sharon Fleshman is the Senior Associate Director of Career Services for students in Education, Nursing and Social Policy & Practice.